Wednesday, May 16, 2012

What is an Essential Oil? Part 1















"An essential oil is the volatile lipid (oil) soluble portion of the fluids of a plant containing odiferous compounds produced by steam distillation of vegetable plant matter. Plant matter can be any part of a botanical species including stems, branches, fruits, flowers, seeds, roots, bark, needles, leaves, etc. During the distillation process, the vapors are condensed, collected, and separated from the condensation water." (The Chemistry of Essential Oils Made Simple by David Stewart, pg. )

I love, love, love Essential Oils!!  I use them almost every day.  They have been such an aid to my family for emotional stability, sleep, peace and calming, first aid, and much much more.  The two books above are two of my favorite on essential oils.  My sister's website gives some great information on these fabulous oils and has some excellent links to other articles written on essential oils. 

No comments: